Construction-related Changes Coming for Capitol Basement
With the Capitol now a full-time construction zone amid demolition in the basement inside and installation of scaffolding outside, tenants and visitors should be aware of the following changes necessary for construction and safety:
- The southwest elevator will shut down Monday, Oct. 3 until the end of 2018. To minimize elevator disruption, three elevators will remain in service at all times during the restoration.
- The southwest staircase between the basement and first floor will shut down Monday, Oct. 3 until the end of 2018.
- The basement snack bar will close next month and reopen in the snack bar location in the north hallway of the fourth floor. A significantly improved food service area will reopen in the basement near the end of the restoration.
- Basement restrooms adjacent to the snack bar will close Oct. 10 until 2020.
- The fitness center in the basement closed earlier this month. It will reopen near the end of 2018.
- The main west corridor through the basement will be rerouted Dec. 15 and remain open throughout the restoration.
- Temporary entrance closures and temporary parking closures should be expected. Closures will be communicated as far in advance as possible, but on some occasions closures may be necessary immediately for safety purposes.
We apologize in advance for the inconveniences these and future temporary changes may cause. Inconveniences are an unfortunate reality for any project of this size, but please know all changes are necessary for safety purposes while the building undergoes the first comprehensive restoration in its nearly century-long history.